Jun 22, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Your Education After Western

Several universities provide opportunities to complete bachelor’s or masters degrees while living at home. Western works closely with several institutions that offer our students this flexibility. Our goal is to have strong relationships with four-year institutions to help create a seamless transition for our graduates who are planning to transfer to another institution. Therefore, a student can start with Western’s lower-cost, high-quality courses, and then transfer to one of these universities without leaving town.

Many articulation agreements with four-year institutions provide a guaranteed transfer of general education and program-specific coursework.

For transfer assistance, contact the Mustang Success office at (307) 382-1660 to schedule an appointment.

Transfer of Credits

Students who wish to transfer course credits earned at Western Wyoming Community College to four-year colleges, universities, and professional schools should have no difficulty if their credits meet the following standards. Students planning to transfer to a four-year college or university should fulfill the requirements for the A.A., A.F.A., A.D.N., or A.S. Degrees.

  1. Acceptable Grades: Grades of “C” or better are normally necessary to gain credit transferable to four-year schools. Some colleges and universities accept “D’s.” Students should check with the institution to which they plan to transfer.
  2. Careful Selection of Courses: A student must choose courses at Western Wyoming Community College that are required by the four-year school for the student’s proposed major field of study. A student should check the catalog of that school and follow the program as closely as possible. If a course is numbered below the first listed course in a four-year program, credit will generally not be granted for the lower course.
  3. Courses carrying a number less than 1000 after the department prefix (MATH 0900 ) will not transfer or count toward Western transfer degrees.
  4. Specialty courses listed under directed study, topics, cooperative education, or student leadership transfer at the discretion of the transferring institution.

Since each educational institution prescribes its standards and its prerequisites to transfer, a transfer student should discuss their program with the academic advisor. There is no limit to the number of hours students may transfer from Western to the University of Wyoming. However, they must complete 48 hours of upper division credit, so the average acceptable transfer hours are 70-80. Students enrolled at the University of Wyoming who have accumulated 60 hours of college credit may, with the approval of a petition to the UW college dean, take additional courses at Western Wyoming Community College within the above limitations.

Because of the specialized nature of certain courses in occupational-vocational education, students majoring in these areas and wishing to transfer should familiarize themselves with the curricula of the institution to which they plan to transfer. Programs in Western’s Office Information Systems, Health Science and Technology, and Industry areas are not designed to be transfer programs. Students should discuss their program at the College with their academic advisor, Coordinator of Academic Advising, Registrar, Mustang Success, or the Vice-President of Student Learning.

University of Wyoming

The University of Wyoming has a local Recruitment and Enrollment Specialist housed in its Admissions/Distance Education office on the main Western campus, facilitating UW’s distance degrees, including bachelors, masters, doctorates, certificates, and endorsements, as well as providing UW Admissions/Transfer assistance and advising. For UW Distance Education and Admissions/Transfer information or general inquiries, please contact the UW Admissions/Distance Education office on the main Western Wyoming Community College campus, room #1228 (near the West Parking lot doors), or by phone at (307)382-1817.

UW Recruitment and Enrollment Specialist: Troy Archuleta, email: tarchule@uwyo.edu

Transfer to the University of Wyoming

Students who plan to transfer from Western to the University of Wyoming should be aware of a number of things that make the process a simple matter.

  1. Transfer Agreement for Western Graduates: Western graduates with an AA, AS, and ADN will transfer to UW under a guaranteed agreement. The agreement states that Western graduates will have met all of UW’s lower division general education requirements (called University Studies 2015 at UW) with the exception of an upper division C3 (advanced communication/writing course). Students are responsible for additional coursework required by colleges and majors.
  2. Course Numbering System is the Same: UW and all seven Wyoming Community Colleges use the same name and number for most equivalent transfer courses. Thus, ENGL 1010  has the same name and number at all eight schools. To know which courses are equivalent, use the Transfer Catalog (see below).
  3. Transfer Catalog: The Transfer Catalog lists all the courses that transfer from the seven Wyoming Community Colleges to UW. The Catalog lists equivalent courses and transfer courses. Equivalent courses generally have the same name and number at all eight institutions. Transfer courses transfer to UW even though they may not be taught at all colleges or UW. The catalog also lists all of UW’s general education requirements (University Studies 2015) and which courses meet those requirements. The Transfer Catalog and other resources for transferring to UW are available at www.uwyo.edu/transfercredit.
  4. No Limit on Number of Credit Hours That Transfer: There is no limit to the number of credits Western students may transfer to UW; however, how these courses fulfill requirements specific to a UW program of study will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. The minimum number of credit hours required for a bachelor’s degree from UW is 120 (some degrees require more), of which 42 hours must be upper-division (3000 and 4000 level).
  5. Transfer Agreement for Students Who Transfer Without an AA, AS, or ADN: Students who transfer with less than an AA, AS, ADN degree or with an occupational degree, or other associate degree, will have their transcript evaluated on a course-by-course basis based on the Transfer Catalog. Such students will have to meet UW’s general education requirements, i.e. complete Western courses that meet UW’s University Studies requirement. Students should notify their advisor if they plan to transfer to UW without completing an AA, AS, or ADN.

UW’s University Studies courses can be found at http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/unst/

Transfer Agreements with Other Institutions

Western has transfer articulation agreements with a number of colleges, including:

Arizona State University

Ashford University

Columbia College

Franklin University

Mayville State University

Southern New Hampshire University

University of Wyoming

Valley City State University

Weber State University (select majors)